The most frequent question we get when we answer the telephone is, "How much will it cost to groom my dog please?"
It's a question that always makes me smile, for it really has many answers.
Just how can you quote for a dog you haven't seen, when even within the breed it can vary by + or - 10Kg? When the coat could be silky and fine, well maintained and professionally groomed on a regular basis, or thick, coarse, packed, matted, flea-ridden and filthy?
You can visit our Services & Prices page as a guide, although there is many things that might alter this prices.
We don't claim to be cheapest, but we are very good at what we do. "A good groom is never cheap and a cheap groom is never good."
Factors that will affect the price of your groom in any salon are:
- The size of dog
- Length of its coat (now) and the length of its coat when its finished
- How long it has been since it was last combed (not brushed) right through to the skin
- When its last bath was
- How "nice" your dog is, whether it stands still and loves being groomed or whether it s extremely reactive to things
- The dog's age, physical disabilities and weight. A skeletal hound is as difficult to clip as an obese dog with rolls of fat.
Some of the questions I ask myself are:
- How many shampoos will this dog need and how much shampoo will I need each time?
- Will I need to use detangling or dematting products too?
- How long will it take to bath this dog?
- How much water will it take?
- How long will it take to dry?
- What style is this dog in?
- Has it grown out (will I have to restyle from scratch or can I follow the existing pattern)?
- What sort of temperament does this dog have? Will it be jumping around on the table and require training or has it already been trained to stand still?
- Is it worth my while investing my time in training this dog - will it be coming back regularly?
- When was this dog last groomed and by whom?
- How much grooming goes on at home? Will this dog's skin be sensitive because its not brushed much in between visits?
So you see, we're not being elusive when we ask you to bring your dog in so we can give you an accurate assessment. And please, don't be offended if we can't give you an accurate quote over the phone.
Each and every groom includes
- As many shampoos as is required to get your furbaby squeaky clean
- Thorough ear cleaning.
- Clipping of sanitary areas and pads (if necessary)